Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Life Lessons

I attended a memorial for a co-worker today. This was a person that I didn't always list as my favorite people at work. When he was diagnosed with cancer some months ago, he showed quite alot of dignity and spirit. He was very optimistic but realistic at the same time. I made it a point to spend more time talking with and listening to him. I really grew to like him very much before he passed away. I commented to a friend that I thought that he had changed since his diagnosis and they asked if it was him that changed, or was my opinion of him changed because I spent more time with him. I thought this was a very interesting question and I think the answer was that perhaps both perspectives changed. This reminded me of a quote from Abraham Lincoln: " I do not like that man, I must get to know him better."

No comments:

Post a Comment